Monday, January 19, 2015

My First Full Week In Honduras

¡Hola!

Most of the time, I have to rely on my companion to know where we are going, because I still have no concept of direction here.  The streets are dirt and don´t have names.  House addresses are also non-existent here.  There are certain blobs of neighborhoods with certain names, but not perfect blocks.  If you ask someone their address, they will say "I live in the green colored house in barrio santa cruz across the street from Pulperia Sandi".  or something to that extent.  Fun stuff.  

Our whole district lives in Catacamas, there are 8 of us total.  There are two branches that meet at our church,  Rama Catacamas and Rama Guayape. Elder Torres and I are Guayape B and attend Rama Guayape at 10:00 on Sundays.

On Wednesday we went to the temple, which meant a four hour bus ride to Tegucigalpa.  On the way there we would stop and pick up other missionaries from other areas and eventually had a bus full of missionaries.  I didn't see anyone from the CCM.  The Temple is super pretty and up on a hill overlooking the city.  I am always so impressed by the detail and the workmanship put into the temples.  I was also able to get headphones and do the session in English (which meant I was the only one NOT watching the dubbed version).  It is so great to go to the temple because it is a huge reminder of my purpose as a missionary.  After the session, some of us ordered Little Caesar's and some guy on a motorcycle came and delivered it to the temple haha!  Super great day, but long bus rides.  

On Friday we had a zone meeting in Juticalpa (the next town over, about an hour on the bus). Its always fun meeting up with the other missionaries and we go out to lunch afterwards.  

Saturday the 6 elders in our district went a did a service project for a family that the hermanas were teaching.  We went down to the river and dug up sand and brought it back to their house so they could use it for cement or something like that.  Later that day we went to their baptism at the church. We also taught one of our investigators, Claudia, today.  While we were teaching her, one of her friends came over and ended up staying for the rest of lesson. (whoo a contact! haha).  

On Sunday we were supposed to meet with Claudia to show her the way to church, but no one was home when we arrived.  Kinda frustrating.  

Today, our zone met up in Catacamas and we went and played cage soccer (cancha).  It´s like a small soccer field that is all enclosed.  After that we all went out to lunch.  Fun first full p-day. 

We have other people that we are teaching, but I don't have too much time to write more about them.  

The language is coming along little by little.  I feel like I can speak alright, but when I don´t understand what other people are saying, I don´t speak too much. haha. It will get better with time.  

I love you all!

- Elder Burnham  

We got to go to the Temple in Tegucigalpa - 4 hour bus ride, totals worth it

The Temple in Tegucigalpa

main square of Juticalpa

One last photo from the Mexico CCM, the night we were all leaving to our different missions


No comments:

Post a Comment